May 24, 2013
New York, NY
On Friday, May 24, 2013, the American Federation of Arts presents AFA China Day in New York, a unique opportunity for museum professionals from China to meet and converse with leading U.S. museum professionals about their traveling exhibition practices. The day will include visits to preeminent art museums of New York City, where senior museum staff will give guided tours of their unparalleled art collections and discuss upcoming exhibitions; a working luncheon, in which participants will learn about practical issues involved in arranging traveling exhibitions between the U.S. and China and have the opportunity to meet potential museum partners; and an evening reception and museum tour.
Metropolitan Museum of Art (1000 Fifth Avenue, at 82nd Street, New York, NY 10028).
Welcome by key staff of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, followed by a private curatorial tour of the new American Wing and the Asian Galleries.
11:30 am–2:30 pm
Luncheon and Discussion: China-U.S. Traveling Exhibitions
International Peace Institute (777 United Nations Plaza, 12th Floor, 44th Street between 1st & 2nd Avenue, New York, NY 10017).
Lunch will be followed by presentations by U.S. museum professionals instrumental in traveling exhibition development and exchange.
• Pauline Willis, Director, American Federation of Arts
• Adriana Proser, John H. Foster Senior Curator of Traditional Asian Art, Asia Society Museum
• Maxwell Hearn, Douglas Dillon Curator in Charge, Asian Art Department, Metropolitan Museum of Art
• Vanessa Fusco, Associate Vice President and Museum Services Manager, Christie’s
• Alice Hunsberger, Associate Director for Development, American Federation of Arts
Private tour of the Whitney Museum of American Art (945 Madison Avenue, at 75th Street, New York, NY 10021).
Private tour and cocktail reception at the Morgan Library & Museum (225 Madison Avenue, at 37th Street New York, NY 10016).
Evening: Individuals will be free to arrange their own activities for the evening.